Discouraging Car Thieves
According to Statistics Canada, nearly 500 vehicles are stolen every day in Canada. As a car owner, you can help lower this statistic—and avoid all the upset and inconvenience of having your car stolen.
A few simple steps can go a long way to discourage car thieves:
- Keep the windows closed and doors locked when you’re not in your vehicle
- Never leave your keys in the car
- Don’t hide emergency keys in a magnetic box underneath your car
- When you park your car, block the wheels by turning them to one side and put the handbrake on to make it more difficult for thieves to tow your vehicle away
- Always choose a well-lit parking lot in a safe area
- When you leave home, make sure any valuables you’re carrying in your car are well hidden
- Install an antitheft device or use a steering wheel, gearshift, or clutch pedal lock. This is the best way to protect your car from theft
For more prevention tips, consult the Insurance Bureau of Canada.